WHCA Transportation Committee
As with all inner-city communities, West Hillhurst has its share of traffic and parking concerns. The transportation committee has a mandate to advocate for our communities transportation needs, help residents find information on their own personal transportation needs and work with the city on plans that affect our community. Feel free to contact the chair should you have any questions.
Crowchild Trail: Construction begins October 29th!
Since receiving funding approval from Council on April 24, 2017, the project team has completed detailed design and prepared contract documents for the short-term plan work. We are on track to begin construction in late October with completion expected in late 2019. Graham has been selected as our contractor and together, we will ensure that citizens know to expect the following along Crowchild Trail:
- Reduced speed limit to 50km/hr between 17 Avenue S.W. and 16 Avenue N.W., for the safety of citizens and crews.
- Narrowed traffic lanes to make space for crews.
- No lane closures during weekday peak hours (Monday toFriday between 5 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
- One to two lane closures during weekday off-peak hours (Monday toFriday between 9 p.m. – 5 a.m.)
- One lane closure on weekends (beginning Fridays at9 p.m. and ending Mondays at 5 a.m.)
- Nighttime construction work between the hours of9 p.m. – 5 a.m.
- The building of road and pathway detours where required, to ensure people can still access their destinations.
- The removal of trees where necessary, replanting, and landscape replenishments as part of this project.
- Our commitment to keeping business accesses open throughout construction.
The volume of work will increase leading up to the 2018 construction season, which will include road work north of the river as well as work on the Memorial Drive, Bow River and Bow Trail bridges. In an effort to provide neighbouring communities with the opportunity to review the detailed construction plans and ask questions of the project team, we have arranged the following information session:
What? Crowchild Trail Upgrades Project Information Session
When? Wednesday, December 6, 2017
6:30 – 8:30 pm (Doors open at 6:30pm)
Where? Hillhurst-Sunnyside Community Association
South Social Hall
I am sending this email to the ward offices and community associations who will be directly impacted by this work. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me; information will soon be available online
Jeff Baird, I am the Project Manager for the Crowchild Trail upgrades project with The City of Calgary, Transportation Infrastructure division. Transportation Infrastructure is the division that manages the design and construction of transportation projects for The City.
Funding for the short-term recommendations was approved by Council on April 24, 2017.
An implementation and construction plan for the projects listed in the short-term plan have since been developed and construction will begin on October 29, 2017.
More information is available at calgary.ca/crowchild.
Now that we have completed the Crowchild Trail Study, we are closing this newsletter campaign and our corresponding email address: firstname.lastname@example.org